Those of you who know me know that my mom and I are extremely close. I am lucky enough to have her be my best friend and at some points she ends up being the only person who really understands my wants and needs. As you know this pregnancy hasn't been an easy one so I am so grateful she was able to be out here this past week.
For the four days she was here she made me food, walked the dog, helped empty out boxes that have been sitting in the basement, took me shopping for maternity clothes, and even did our mountain of laundry. Most importantly she kept me company and helped Jacob and I see how we can both be better towards each other.
The best part of her visit though was when she helped me check out our new midwife.
A week before my mom came to visit I wasn't comfortable with the midwives at Swedish for a number of reasons and really wanted different care. I also was really trying to not have a hospital birth at all and freaked when one of the groups said they were booked for births in October. In swoops mom helping me make calls and even figuring out how to do all this with our health coverage. I was able to book an appointment for when my mom was in town which Jacob enjoyed because he was starting to get sick of first visits and was more than happy to have my mom step in.
The visit to the new midwife ended up being amazing and I'm glad to report I've finally settled. The best moment really was when my mom heard Milo's heart beat. She teared up a little and it was an amazing moment for both of us. This brings me to why this whole thing is such a big deal.
When I first reported to my mom we were going natural and not with and OBGYN she was a bit hesitant about the process, Both my brother and I were very complicated pregnancies and births. I'm beginning to learn that birth is a scary subject for our family. Despite her trauma she has been really supportive of my wishes. It was nice to be able to sit down with the midwife and have my mom really learn why this was so important to me and that it was indeed safe. She was really blown away by the midwife and the birthing center. It was such a wonderful experience and even more I'm happy to report that she has agreed to be my doula during the birth.
I'm so thankful for having such a great mom who really tries to understand me. Love you mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cheers to our mamas! Aren't they incredible? Congrats on finding a midwife that you love. Its so important! And if you have any questions or concerns about going natural, don't hesitate to contact me. (Although, I'm sure your midwife will have lots of info.) XO - Sarah
ReplyDeleteThis is so exciting, Jana. It is totally worth it to switch care a million times to find the right person. You will have an amazing birth. It's so awesome that your mom is supportive, a lot of people don't get that. Hooray!
ReplyDelete