Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The First Doctors Visit

We had our first visit with an OBGYN on March 24th. What was supposed to be a routine first visit ended up being quite a trip.

Jacob and I headed off to the doctor that afternoon both nervous and excited. Going to the doctor really made it more concrete that we were indeed going to have a baby together. That morning I had been having some sharp pains to that only added to how nervous we were.

Once we got to the doctor (late of course) we answered the usual questions and I underwent the usual exams. After Jacob mentioned that I had been having some sharp pains the doctor immediately scheduled an ultrasound to make sure the pregnancy wasn't ectopic. This of course sent me in to quite a worrying spiral but, also excitement because I hadn't been expecting a chance for an ultrasound.

As you could have clearly guessed by now the baby was in wonderful health and it ended up being an extra treat to get the ultrasound. It was much bigger than I had expected and the ultrasound tech told me that I was actually twelve weeks along and not the 11 every one had thought. Jacob and I really enjoyed that bit of news because it meant we could start sharing about the baby with every one.

I think the highlight of the visit was when we were doing the ultrasound and in order to get a better profile view (the baby was curled up in a ball) the tech poked at my stomach with the wand. She was positive this would cause the baby to uncurl a little but instead he/she just turned over. Jacob and I both laughed and explained to tech that this was clearly my child. It seems both of us are stubborn and hate being bothered while sleeping.

Our next appointment is today actually (May 3) but we won't be returning to the OBGYN. Now that we know the baby and I are all good and after much research we have decided to transfer our care to a Nurse Midwife center. I have always wanted a natural birth and feel this is the best way to go to make sure my wishes are followed through. I will update y'all with how it went when I have a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment